Page Updated: July 31st, 2017
What is the Uniform Guidance
The Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (Uniform Guidance) were released on December 26, 2013. The Uniform Guidance streamlines and supersedes guidance that was previously contained in eight different OMB Circulars, including A-110, A-21, and A-133. The new guidance consists of definitions, uniform administrative requirements (both pre- and post-award), cost principles, and audit requirements.
When will the Uniform Guidance apply?
- The Uniform Guidance administrative requirements and cost principles will apply to new funding awarded on or after December 26, 2014. Some Federal agencies will also apply the Uniform Guidance to incremental funding awarded after December 26, 2014.
- Existing Federal awards will continue to be governed by the terms and conditions under which they were awarded.
- Carryover funds may or may not be subject to the Uniform Guidance, depending on the Federal awarding agency.
- Subpart F, Audit Requirements, will apply to audits of non-Federal entity fiscal years beginning on or after December 26th, 2014. For UW-Madison, this will be Fiscal Year July 1, 2015 - June 30, 2016.
- Application of Federal Regulations by Agency
- Examples in WISDM of Awards Subject to the Uniform Guidance
What is UW-Madison doing to implement the Uniform Guidance?
The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs has developed strategies for implementation of the Uniform Guidance. Working groups are addressing high priority subjects. A matrix of subjects and their current status is available here.
Updated UW-Madison Guidance
- Compensation Limitation under Covered Contracts
- Computing Devices Guidance, FAQs, Request Form
- Direct Charging of Administrative and Clerical Salaries Guidance, FAQs
- Mandatory Disclosures of Violations of Criminal Law
- Procurement Standards
- Research Terms and Conditions
- RSP Roles & Responsibilities Related to Single Audit
- Terminal Leave: Fringe Cost and Payments
- UW-Madison Guidance for Hosting Meetings/Conferences on Sponsored Projects
- Visa Fees
How can I learn more?
- By reviewing the slides from the NCURA webcast, “Uniform Guidance: The Challenges of Implementation”, originally broadcast on June 17, 2015.
- By reading through Key Comparisons between the OMB Circulars and the Uniform Guidance.
- By reading through the Uniform Guidance presentation made as part of the Research Administration series on 3/19/15.
- By reading through "The Uniform Guidance: A Top Ten List", presented to the Associate Deans for Research on 9/19/14.
- By watching "OMB Uniform Guidance: A Summary of Change and Strategies for Implementation on Your Campus", held at the National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA) 56th Annual Meeting, August 10-13, 2014.
Federal Agency Resources
U.S. Department of Agriculture/National Institute of Food and Agriculture
- National Institute of Food and Agriculture General Terms and Conditions, Grants and Cooperative Agreements, Effective December 26th, 2014
Department of Commerce
- Department of Commerce Financial Assistance Standard Terms and Conditions Dated December 26th, 2014
- Grants Policy
U.S. Department of Education
Department of Energy
- Financial Assistance Forms and Information for Applicants and Recipients, including Special Terms and Conditions for Use in most Grants and Cooperative Agreements
Environmental Protection Agency
- General Terms and Conditions Applicable to EPA Assistance Agreement Recipients as of December 26, 2014
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
National Institutes of Health
- NOT-OD-15-087: Publication of the Revised NIH Grants Policy Statement (Rev. 3/31/15)
- NIH Grants Policy Statement (3/31/2015)
- Summary of Significant Changes to the NIH GPS for March 2015 Version
- Frequently Asked Questions - Uniform Guidance and NIH Interim Grant Conditions
National Science Foundation
- Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG)
- NSF Grant General Conditions (GC-1)
- Frequently Asked Questions on NSF's Implementation of 2 CFR § 200
Office of Naval Research
- Office of Naval Research, Research Grant Agency Specific Requirements, Interim Terms and Conditions (December 26th, 2014)
- The Council on Financial Assistance Reform (COFAR) website contains background information, FAQs, and links to the Uniform Guidance and suuplemental materials
- COFAR FAQs - September 9th, 2015
Other Federal Resources
- 2 CFR § 200 technical corrections published since December 19th, 2014:
- Join Interim Final Rule in Federal Register - December 19, 2014
- 2 CFR § 200 - Uniform Guidance
- Preamble and original Federal Register Notice for Uniform Guidance - December 26, 2013
Council on Governmental Relations (COGR) Resources
COGR Summary of Background and Technical Corrections to Final Uniform Guidance
COGR Implementation and Readiness Guide
- COGR Website
- Federal Demonstration Partnership (FDP)'s white papers, prepared jointly with COGR on select Uniform Guidance topics
- FDP Subrecipient vs. Contractor checklist tool: PDF | Excel
For questions or comments related to the Uniform Guidance or UW-Madison's implementation of the Uniform Guidance, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Uniform Guidance Archive
COGR Guide to OMB Uniform Guidance, Version 2
- Federal Prior Approval and Other Requirements Matrix: For use with awards subject to the Uniform Guidance until new Research Terms and Conditions and associated documents are available.
- Slides from the NCURA webcast entitled, "The OMB Uniform Guidance: Key Issues for Universities", originally broadcast on May 14th, 2014
- UW-Madison's Uniform Guidance implementation planning documents: subjects, subtasks, and projected timeframe