RSP has created a website to list both the Stop Work projects and the IPA agreements so that department and division staff can assist researchers in managing the requirements mandated by the shutdown. We have also created a short list of FAQs that may be helpful in evaluating the steps to be taken. Please check this site for regular updates as we receive more information.
For more information see: https://www.rsp.wisc.edu/routing/Programs/Shutdown.cfm
Federal Government Shutdown
October 23, 2013
October 17, 2013
Due to the enactment of a continuing resolution, Federal government operations are open. Federal employees are expected to return for work on their next regularly scheduled work day (Thursday, October 17th for most employees), absent other instructions from their employing agencies.
Federal agencies will be issuing additional guidance about their operations, missed application due dates, review meetings, etc. as soon as possible.
October 1, 2013
The Federal Government shut down at midnight, October 1st. The best official guidance to date from OMB is available at the link below:
You can review agency-specific guidelines at the links below.
Guidance on Managing Employees during the Federal Government Shutdown
1) PER PAGE 3 OF OMB MEMO. “Normally, routine, ongoing operational and administrative activities relating to contract or grant administration (including payment processing) cannot continue when there is a gap in funding. Therefore, agency employees who are paid with annual appropriations and who perform an activity associated with contract or grant administration (including oversight, inspection, payment, or accounting) should generally not continue work during a funding hiatus.”
2) In general, active grant and contract activity funded with FY2013 (or prior year) appropriations can continue. However, agency personnel most likely will not be available for approvals, supervisory support, and other administrative functions. In addition, it is not certain what will be the functionality of automated payment systems. Consequently, institutions should recognize that there is some risk that requests for reimbursement will not be processed. Other electronic administrative systems may or may not be available, depending on each agencies internal approach. For certain, no new awards will be issued. And most likely, new grant applications will not be accepted, though this also may depend on each agencies internal approach.
3) Agency specific guidance should be made available on a case-by-case basis. Agencies are required by OMB to implement agency plans for operation during a shutdown. Most likely, each agency plan will not be identical. In addition, certain programs may have special operating instructions.
We expect that each agency is relatively well-prepared to implement their agency plan. However, there still are uncertainties and it is difficult to determine what the exact challenges will be if there is a Federal government shutdown.
RSP will work with the Council on Governmental Relations (COGR) to continue to provide updates and share new information that we learn.
Agency Specific Guidelines
- ACL Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- AHRQ Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- CDC Federal Shutdown Resuming Operations (Oct 17, 2013)
- Dept of Commerce EDA Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- Dept of Commerce NIST Federal Shutdown Resuming Operations (Oct 17, 2013)
- DHHS Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- DHHS ACL Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- DHHS HRSA Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- DHHS HRSA OPA Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- DOD Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- Dept of Energy Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- Dept of Energy at Idaho Falls, Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- Dept of Education Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- DOI Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- DOI Fish & Wildlife Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- DOI Park Service Federal Shutdown Resuming Operations (Oct 17, 2013)
- DOJ Federal Shutdown Resuming Operations (Oct 17, 2013)
- EMSL Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- EPA Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- FDA Federal Shutdown Resuming Operations (Oct 17, 2013)
- IMLS Federal Shutdown Resuming Operations (Oct 17, 2013)
- NASA Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- NASA Cooperative Agreements Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- NCI Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- NHPRC Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- NIH Federal Shutdown Resuming Operations (Oct 22, 2013)
- NOAA Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- NSF Federal Shutdown Resuming Operations (Oct 22, 2013)
- Raytheon Company Federal Shutdown Impact
- SAMSHA Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- Sandia National Laboratories, Supply Chain Management Federal Shutdown Impact (Oct 10, 2013)
- USDA Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- USDA Forest Services Federal Shutdown Resuming Operations (October 17, 2013)
- USDA NRCS Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- USDA RMA Federal Shutdown Guidelines
- VA Research Federal Shutdown Guidelines