Requirements for Animal Protocols on Sponsored Projects

In order to ensure protection of the UW-Madison when funds received by the UW are for animal use, the animal care program must be satisfied that research with live vertebrate animals that has financial connections to UW-Madison by performance at the UW-Madison or non-UW-Madison facilities is performed in accordance with the UW’s animal program standards.

To ensure protection, when the answer to the question, "Does the project involve..use of vertebrate animals?" is YES:

  • If any of the direct live vertebrate animal use is performed at a UW-Madison facility, a UW-Madison ACUC-approved protocol IS required to release funds. The protocol must reference the project (exact title & PI match or reference to the funding information (Sponsor Reference number, WISPER ID, Project ID) in the funding information available to RSP in PLuS.
    • To associate a funding source (grant, fellowship, etc.) with a UW-Madison ACUC-approved animal care and use protocol, you must contact the RARC. You can either complete the Animal Protocol Administrative Amendment form and submit to the RARC or email the grant title, grant number, and funding agency to the RARC and direct them to "add" it to the appropriate animal protocol. RARC staff will update the animal protocol record, and the following day the grant will appear in PLuS associated with the approved animal protocol.
    • If you are in the School of Medicine and Public Health or the College of Letters & Sciences contact: Debbie Morris (262-7109, If you are in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, or Graduate School contact: Diane Johnson (265-3989, If you are in the School of Veterinary Medicine or the College of Letters & Sciences contact: Nancy Spilker (890-4563, Otherwise, please contact Holly McEntee (265-9241,
    • Other information about animal protocols and grants can be found on RARC's website here under the section titled "How Animal Protocols Relate to Grants."
  • If direct live vertebrate animal use is performed entirely and only at non-UW-Madison owned and managed facilities? (Note: A commercial vendor from whom the University is purchasing or receiving animal products must be confirmed using only item 2 below.)
    • RSP must receive the IACUC approval letter from the institution or facility where the work is being performed. Please upload a copy of this approval into the WISPER record.
    • RSP must be ensured that the approving institution is USDA-registered (if the animals involved are USDA-covered species, see list below) and PHS-Assured if the granting agency is a PHS agency (see list below).
      • In terms of the animal program, UW-Madison is a USDA-registered research institution. Therefore, other institutions that are USDA-registered research institutions are considered equivalent to us in terms of animal care. RSP staff will verify if the collaborating insitution is registered as a research institution with the USDA. If you wish to check another institution's status, use this website:
      • In terms of the animal program, UW-Madison holds an Assurance from the Public Health Service (Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare, or OLAW). Therefore, other institutions that have a PHS Assurance are considered equivalent to us in terms of animal care. RSP staff will verify if the collaborating institution holds a PHS Assurance. If you wish to check another institution's status, please use this website: under “OLAW Fast Facts” and then the appropriate domestic or foreign list.
      • If the other institution is not USDA-registered and PHS-Assured, the proposal will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by Associate Vice Chancellor for Research Compliance, Dr. Daniel Uhlrich, or his designee. Case-by-case, he will decide (in consultation with Dr. Janet Welter, Chief Campus Veterinarian for the animal program, or Dr. Eric Sandgren, Director of RARC) whether one of the UW-Madison animal care and use committees needs to review the proposal.

What are USDA covered species?
Any warm-blooded living vertebrate excluding birds, mice of the genus Mus bred for research, and rats of the genus Rattus bred for research. This definition is from the federal Animal Welfare Act, CFR7(54)secs. 2131-2159.

What are PHS funds?
These are funds made available through the Public Health Service, an agency within the Department of Health and Human Services. This includes funds awarded by the following agencies and their component entities:

  • Department of Agriculture
  • Department of Defense
  • Department of State
  • Department of Interior
  • Environmental Protection Agency
  • National Aeronautics and Space Administration
  • National Science Foundation
  • Veterans Administration
  • Office of International Health
  • Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) including:
    • National Institutes of Health (NIH)
    • Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
    • Centers for Disease Control
    • Food and Drug Administration

Go to Protocol and IACUC Services