Monitoring/Oversight of Grant/Contract Awards
Page Updated: March 28th, 2017
Grant and Contract Accounts at the UW-Madison are monitored by a combination of the Principal Investigator, the departmental or lab administrator, the Dean's office (often both pre-award and post-award), and Research and Sponsored Programs. The PRIMARY responsibility for various functions is extrapolated from the Roles and Responsibilities document. In summary:
RSP has primary responsibility for:
- Accepting the award on behalf of the Regents.
- Negotiating terms and conditions relating to University policies.
- Developing and administering subagreements.
- Preparing small business/minority subcontracting reports as required.
- Reviewing expenditures in certain restricted budget categories.
- Managing effort reports.
- Reviewing and monitoring cost transfers.
- Reviewing and processing non-monetary modifications.
- Drawing funds on letters of credit and reconciling accounts as required.
- Works with the Dean or Department Chair on clearing misplaced expenditures.
- Prepares and submits sponsor financial reports and invoices as required.
- Files appropriate close-out documents.
- Maintains award database.
The Dean's Office has primary responsibility for:
- Approving requests for assignment of Project ID number in advance of receipt and acceptance of the official award document (Form 88-1).
- Providing oversight of sponsored project administration, including cost transfers and effort reporting.
- Approving substantive modifications and rebudgeting.
- Assures timely resolution of misplaced expenditures.
- Provides final accounting of cost-sharing/matching to RSP.
- Participates in negotiations when technical reports are incomplete and deliverables are lacking or unacceptable to the sponsor.
The Principal Investigator has primary responsibility for:
- Agreeing to all terms and conditions, with emphasis on performance clauses, including the frequency of technical reports, special professional staff hourly reports, deliverables, termination conditions, etc.
- Assures appropriateness, reasonableness, and allowability of expenditures.
- Manages expenditures to not exceed available award balance.
- Reviews and signs effort reports as required.
- Initiates requests for rebudgeting and cost transfers.
- Approves payment of subcontractor invoices.
- Prepares technical reports and provides other deliverables as required.
- Reviews interim financial reports provided by RSP as required.
- Documents cost-sharing/matching funds as required.